Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rockies to Red Sox

It's hard being a Rockies fan, I mean really hard. I love Tulo, Cargo and every year I get excited about the young team they have. Then it happens the pitching struggles, Tulo gets hurt and Cargo is Cargo and racks most of the season. I don't mind the losing aspect of it because I am not a diehard baseball fan like football. The issue I have with the Rockies is the way the team is being run. Dan O'Dowd is a terrible GM and no respected manager wants to join the Rockies. They chased Jim Tracy away and hired Walt Weiss to basically be a puppet. I do like Weiss as a coach because of the way he played the game, 100% all the time and I think he could be a good coach if his hands aren't tied. I know the team has taking some of O’Dowd’s responsibilities away, but I can't help to think he will influence a lot of Weiss decisions. It's hard to be a fan of the Rockies when you feel like the owners and G.M could care less. We always hear about the great farm system they have, but I am just not seeing it right now...

So is it time to jump ship to the local Red Sox? I am dipping my toes in that pool, but not jumping right in. This would be the perfect season to become a fan. The team was terrible last year, they have a new coach, and they dumped players and have low expectations this year. So if anything I can't be considered a bandwagon fan, but that is where my issue is. I never disliked the Red Sox, they are somewhat local and I love the city of Boston...But the fans are terrible, I can never tell who is a fan because it seems like you only hear from them when they are winning or they are such homers that they use every excuse in the book. Blaming the coaching, injuries, the Yankees or the weather, ok maybe not the weather. I am sure most fans are like this and it's not only a Boston thing. I am just exposed to it because of where I live; I also notice it with the area Yankee fans.

But maybe it's that passion that draws me to Boston. The atmosphere at Fenway is like that of no other, I am not sure if it's the overpriced food or crappy seats, but there is something about going to a game in Boston that gets me every time. I have been to Yankee stadium and it just doesn't feel the same. Even though both teams are rich in baseball history there is just something about Fenway and Boston. So this year I am going to pay more attention to the Sox and see where it takes me. Hopefully my boy Willibrooks can stay off the DL and boost my fantasy team. I think it's time to cheer for the home team.

1 comment: