Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tough Mudder, Spartan Run, Warrior Dash ?

It's expensive to get your ass kicked these days. I am sure by now you have heard of these races, Tough Mudders, Spartan Run, Warrior Dash, Steeple Chase and Run For Your Lives. If you haven't basically you pay a fee to run a race on an obstacle course. Each race offers something different, but the most popular one is the Tough Mudders race which known to electrocute racers throughout the course. Don't worry anything harmful or at least they say, it's just loose wires hanging from a net that sap you as you attempt to run through... So much is misery worth? Well most of these courses will cost you between $50 and $100 to wade through waist deep mud, crawl under barbed wire, climb through ice water filled tunnels, jump over a fire wall and get shocked at the end. But wait act now and they will throw in a beer and a t-shirt.

And yet I still want to sign up for a race, I am not sure which one but I am leaning towards our local Warrior Dash and Run For Your Lives. The Warrior Dash takes place in a local park, which includes ziplines, swimings and cargo nets. Nothing too crazy, while the Run For Lives is a zombie themed one where you run through the course with flags on while being chased by zombies... How could that not be fun...

Why would we put ourselves through any of these courses? Well for me it brings back feelings as a kid running through the woods and diving over logs with my toy guns. After reading many reviews of these different races it's easy to see why people would be better off skipping them. You watch a promo video and you are pumped up to run through fire, but in the end you are walking with thousands of people from one obstacle to another. While none of the obstacles are mandatory why pay money to walk and skip the obstacles? Most people admit they would never do it again, because it was brutal on their bodies, but it's the same thing as drinking too much. You get sick and swear you will never do it again, until next week you are pounding the drinks again. I highly doubt I will be as excited as the people in the promo videos, I still think I will put myself through the misery at least once.

2 comments:

  1. Joining into an obstacle races is a very exciting event. I also want to join such event because I see it very nice and enjoyable specially if we are with our friends actively joining together in the race, it feels like you are playing like when you are only kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've debated back and forth but the cost seems a bit too high. $50-$100 bucks from some cheap obstacles and a 10 mile run? Damn, wish I would of thought of it about 5 years ago.

    ReplyDelete