Thursday, June 2, 2011

Athletes and Twitter

Yes it’s rare that I post two blogs in one day but what the hell. A friend of mine whose blog can be found here touched on Twitter and its purpose. It got me thinking a little about athletes and how Twitter has given them a voice. Athlete’s always had a voice in the media, but the press could spin it however they would like. Twitter has allowed us to see a side of athletes we do not normally get to see. On my post about Chad OchoCinco I talked about how he does trips with his fans and gives stuff away. I follow a ton of athletes and sports personalities on Twitter and it is interesting to see how they interact among each other. They clown each other and usually exchange in friendly banter. I find myself rooting against players because they are Duke or Michigan fan. Last year I was discussing back and forth with Bernard Berrrian about the NBA playoffs and I have talked with Sean May about student athletes and if they should be paid or not. This is where Twitter is at its best allowing athletes to connect to their fans. I think sports leagues should embrace Twitter and use it to there advantage instead of fighting.

1 comment:

  1. I still feel like what you're seeing is a version that the athlete or celebrity wants you to see. There may be exceptions but the majority aren't going to be as "real" as you want. These guys have an image to portray and they are going to portray that image. Look at the public outcry when someone says or posts something inappropriate. It's awful. These guys are only posting "safe" messages. Believe me.

    ReplyDelete